Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Walk Again! Dallas Project Walk





 I had the honor of working for 3 days in Dallas at the amazing Project Walk program.  If you're looking for inspiration today….look no further!

The old saying:  "The good teacher learns from the student," resonated with me as I stood silently inside one of the most awe inspiring, hope-filled facilities I've ever had the honor of visiting and working in.

Most of you who know me, know I've been blessed to travel the world and have seen numerous premier training facilities…NFL, NBA, NHL, OLYMPICS included.

At Dallas Project Walk, the focus, enthusiasm, and energy were palpable, as young and old pressed with every breath, to WALK AGAIN!

We all know the value of core strength and it's connection to movement.  My challenge was to see if what I've researched and invented regarding the spine, spine and joint mechanics had any relevance here!  I know about training Olympians, Professionals, Celebrities, and regular Joe's who just want to perform better.
This was no different! One young man pictured here stated:  "I just want to get my legs straight and stand flat with both feet on the ground!"  We worked for 45' minutes, and the results were visible with the smiles.
I just wasn't sure of the relevance or sure that there was any crossover effect in this environment?  There is minimal or no research on the relevance of core biofeedback and spinal cord disorders!  Shocking, I know!
I was blessed to spend 3 days with clients, staff, and family of those challenged by life altering events, and see if there was any additional stone we could flip over together.
I committed to being more eye's and ears…and learned so much in those few days.  It was highly technical  and the responses were consistently overwhelming.   I am still processing what we found out that day.  For the sake of this blog, I will share the inspiration and hope that maybe one of you know researchers that are interested in spinal cord research and help us explore the unexplainable positive responses manifested from our work on countless survivors and fighters that day.
This young man, lost the use of his entire torso from the neck down and had not been able to straighten his legs in months.  He was a runner and just wanted to new able to stretch out his legs.

He for the first time could feel deep muscles engaging and
see them on the AB-Inforcer using the Core Biofeedback
for positional awareness.
We turned on his core muscles, made him aware that his head and neck kept shooting forward to assist him, but that wasn't helpful.  

We gradually stood him up progressing him to both feet on the ground and the entire room stopped because since his accident he had not been able to get both feet flat on the floor no matter how much stretching was done!

This was an unbelievable moment.

By the end of the day, this young man's balance
improved exponentially by using the techniques
of the "Lights On" Core biofeedback!
The owner of Dallas Project Walk, Kendal Hall, had a horrible car accident and tragically emerged after the accident as a quadriplegic.   Her loss has not stopped nor slowed this young womens dream to walk again!  She has dedicated her life to looking for solutions that might help others in any way!

Their loss is not their story,…their spirit and fight are!

She strives minute-by-minute to get sensation back and fight the battle.  I was so humbled to be part of this revolutionary process.  I walked away feeling so blessed to tell their story, responsible to expedite research to help them on their miraculous path!

Please don't hesitate reaching out to donate to their facility.  They have scholarships that they give to those who can't afford their training(insurance doesn't cover it, and if it does it is minimal.  Their system runs on donations.

If any of you can take a moment and search your contacts and find scholars and researchers who have the grant money to assist with research, plea contact me at admin@AreYourLightsOn.com.

Finally,  their struggle made me keenly aware of my many blessings…even on the worst days, they take all my excuses away!  Get up and do something now, life can change in an instant.



Sitting up tall, unassisted!

palpating hip flexors and core muscles…
On AB-Inforcer Core Biofeedback Trainer provided
support, massage, and then lights and sound for ideal
postural positioning and engagement of postural core muscles.

Working on turning on core
muscles and learning to hip hinge!
The room stopped and cheered as Kendal
 drove her legs forward…the smile tells the story!


Please don't hesitate reaching out to donate to their facility.  They have scholarships that they give to those who can't afford their training (insurance doesn't cover it, and if it does it is minimal).  Their system runs on donations.

If any of you can take a moment and search your contacts and find scholars and researchers who have the grant money to assist with research, plea contact me at admin@AreYourLightsOn.com.  

Finally,  their struggle made me keenly aware of my many blessings…even on the worst days, they take all my excuses away!  Get up and do something now, life can change in an instant.
In Strength,
Lee Brandon, CSCS

No comments: